Is it the water conditioner

Users who are viewing this thread

jack z

Reaction score
Hello New to the form.
well here is the problem I,m on city water and we like the soft water and the taste. I,m having water heater problems. The tanks only last 3-4 years and rust out. I had a local water company install a new water unit. We are two older adults and the unit cycles at 3 Am so there is no one using the water at that time. This will be my 3rd heater in the past 12 years. I,m open to any and all info that you have. Thank you jack z Ft myers Fl.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your water heaters should last longer, which you know.

If you still have access to the old water heater, take a look at the anode rod. This may take an impact wrench. If it is all eaten away, I would be thinking of using a powered anode. I put one in. Not cheap. I am not saying that this will cure your water heater life, but it does act like an always-new anode. You can also get the anode rod replaced in a couple of years. If when you do that, the old one is eaten away, do it sooner next time, or consider a powered anode.

Maybe you have just had a spate of bad luck with water heaters. I hope you are getting some warranty coverage. I am not a pro.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have the pH of your water tested. A low pH (below 7) will cause corrosion. Post the results here and we can advise if you need to correct it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
An often overlooked item for hot water failures is the lack of an expansion tank. As water heats it takes more space. The water heater tanks are glass lined so they should not be rusting. If something compromises the glass/epoxy lining like the constant expansion and contration of the water heater lank, this can cause the problems you are experiencing. A thermal expansion tank is required if you have an anti backflow device or a check valve ahead of the water heater. Also check your water pressure, this combined with thermal expansion problems can make things even worse.

The reason some heaters do not last as long with soft vs. hard water is the lack of a protective scale layer that would lessen the effects of the corrosion on the steel tanks protective glass lining that has been compromised. This "protective" layer also reduces efficiency.

A properly designed plumbing system should allow for a water heater to last 10-20 years. A softener will usually make the water heater last much longer than without.

Last edited:

jack z

Reaction score
Thank you for all the help. The tank was replaced under the warrenty. The tank had the expanision tank. But the tank was loaded wit rust. The drain was blocked with rust and had to blow air into the base to let the water out. What if the timer was wrong and the tank back flushed during the day, while using the water. I wonder if the back flush could cause the rust. Please let me know what you think. Thank you . jz.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks