Is it possible to repair the crack at the top of the shower door?

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonM

Reaction score
I have the 2 door sliding shower doors. One of it has a crack of about 2 inches or so at the top of the door frame. The door has the roller at the top and is hanging from the top. I think it is aluminum but I am not sure. For now, it is working fine, but I am afraid that the crack will become larger and eventually it will separate.

Is it possible to repair the crack or should I replace the whole door? I would like to repair if possible using something like metal glues, riveting, or soldering. Or do I have to replace the whole 2 doors and tracks and etc. Thank you very much.

20140607_164343a.jpg
20140607_164240.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that crack is where two pieces of aluminum come together and you mainly want to exclude water? I would think that a silicone sealant/caulk or epoxy glue could do it. Consider using masking tape before applying your sealant, then peel that off before the sealant you use hardens.

JasonM

Reaction score
Reach4, thank you for the reply.
I think I have to take the photo of the cracked area and upload it so you can see the problem more clearly. I will do that in the coming weekend.
I think it is not for excluding the water. It is part of the door extending from the door frame, which has the roller part at the top. So, I think the silicone caulking will not do the job. It needs strong metal strength joint. Thank you.

JasonM

Reaction score
Here is the more detailed photos.
Is it possible to somehow repair the crack at the top? If not, can the top portion of the door frame be replaced?

Thank you very much.20150613_175718.jpg 20150613_175844.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks