is it possible to convert back outlet toilet plumbing to down outlet?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by easr, Jul 16, 2008.

1. easr

easr New Member

hi there!
    I hope my title made sense...

we are doing a bathroom remodel in our loft - which is in a 1917 building that was renovated in the mid-1990s.

we had picked out a toilet we liked and then our contractor told us that we need to have a back outlet toilet (not necessarily a wall-mounted one, but back outlet specifically)... and as many of you know, the selections are minimal. we are not interested in a wall mounted toilet at all.

so my question - is it a huge ordeal to have the plumbing converted so that it can accomodate a regular "down outlet" toilet? our pipes need to be moved anyway as our toilet area is being moved several feet from its current placement - so we already do need to have plumbing work done.

thanks so much for any input!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sounds like this is the time to do it since you are going to be redoing the drains anyway. One positive thing is you will have many more choices in toilets. I would urge you to seriously consider the Toto line.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's probably a good idea, but it really depends on how much access you have to the drains and how they're layed out how easy or hard it will be.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If your contractor says you need a wall outlet, I would ask him if it's possible to open up the wall below your unit and the floor to move the piping around.
    If it's only $3000 to move the piping, then it may be a good idea.

Or, you may want to stay with the wall outlet after all.

American Standard Yorkville
    Gerber 21-310
    and Kohler makes one.
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Minimal selection?

Investigate ordering one from Europe, specifically England. They are all like that.

Careful with the supply line spec though. These will be in milimeters, not inches.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

And have to deal with parts locating difficulties til the end of time...

I don't think so!
  7. Furd

Furd Engineer

To say nothing about shipping costs and import duties...assuming that one could even have a non-EPA certified toilet legally brought into the US.

Then the strong possibility of breakage during transit...
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'd rather have a root canal sans novacaine than do that!:eek:
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

As my dad used to say, "Anything is possible if you have enough time and money." Installing a floor mount toilet could take a lot of both items, depending on how the building is constructed and exactly where you want the toilet.
  10. easr

easr New Member

thanks everyone, for the replies! It's good to know it's a possibility. we'll be meeting with our GC next week to see what he has to say - but thanks for giving me some advice in advance. :)