Is it okay to omit tailpiece coming from kitchen sink drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bethany

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am not all that knowledgeable about kitchen plumbing, but am learning quite a bit through giving my apartment a small makeover. I recently bought a sink that is 10" deep that I was planning to undermount under the new granite. The issue is that this would leave no room for a tailpiece under the drain...

Is it okay to have the sink strainer/drain screw directly into the p-trap? Or is there a minimum length for a tailpiece for any safety reasons? If it is an issue, I can just use the sink as a topmount, because it can be mounted either way.

Thanks for any input. :)

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am not all that knowledgeable about kitchen plumbing, but am learning quite a bit through giving my apartment a small makeover. I recently bought a sink that is 10" deep that I was planning to undermount under the new granite. The issue is that this would leave no room for a tailpiece under the drain...

Is it okay to have the sink strainer/drain screw directly into the p-trap? Or is there a minimum length for a tailpiece for any safety reasons? If it is an issue, I can just use the sink as a topmount, because it can be mounted either way.

Thanks for any input. :)
Yeah you can do that

Reaction score
You do not need a vertical tailpipe dropping down from the sink drain.

You just have to make sure all the hand-tights are properly correct with respective gaskets, and aren't hacks.

Ikea sinks are installed without tailpipes. This really works for bathroom cabinets and releases a lot of storage space that a classic tailpipe would steal.
J0A9949.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tailpieces often can be cut if you can't find one the length you want. Essentially, it has to be long enough to fit into the trap far enough so it is both stable and you can tighten up the compression fitting...there doesn't have to be much of any sticking out further. IOW, you can get the trap almost tight up against the bottom of the sink, depending on the diameter of the drain outlet of the sink (which is often larger).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks