Is it okay to have an in-sink disposal with a septic system?

Users who are viewing this thread

CindyJ

Reaction score
We've been living in our home for nearly 40 years. We've always had a septic system and we added a new one a few years ago. We have the tank pumped out every few years. My husband and I are empty nesters, so the system is really not "overworked." Although we've never had an in-sink disposal, I'd really like to get one installed. My husband believes it's just a bad idea, but I know that many of the homes in our area, and virtually all of the newly-built ones, all of which have septic systems, have disposals.

I'd appreciate your advice and opinions. And, if you think it's okay, what should I look for in a disposal unit? What brands should I consider? What else do I need to know? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
http://terrylove.biz/home/111-insinkerator-pro-septic-assist-disposer-with-installation.html

Insinkerator makes a disposer that drops a little Bio-Clean with each use.
The link above is my installed pricing for the Seattle area. You can buy them for less than that without the labor.

insinkerator-pro-septic-assist-disposer-with-installation.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends somewhat one what you put down the thing! My mother's had one in her house since 1954 on her septic system...it's never created a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks