Is Flush Standard in US Changing?

Users who are viewing this thread

n3216v

Reaction score
Someone at a plumbing supply told my wife that the gpf is changing in the US to require 1.28gpf at the end of 2009. Is this true?
Thanks
Alan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure of the date, but yes...and there are some out there now that work quite well. Course, there are still a bunch that don't work well at 1.6g, too.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure what is happening federally. California has a law that started a phase in this year. Each year over the next few years, a larger % of the total toilets that a manufacturer sells in CA has to be 1.28. Finally, in about 2012 or so, ALL have to be 1.28.

Some manufacturers are putting out a toilet that is just straight up 1.28 gpf. Others opt for the "average" method. It is assumed that there is some kind of ration of #2 flushes to # 1s, so you can flush 1.6 gallon with one button, 0.6 with another. It averages to 1.28 gpf or less.

Reaction score
Some regions are moving to 1.28 or the dual flush. I haven't heard about a Federal move yet. However, I recently went to 1.28 gpf Toto EcoDrakes and am so far very happy with the flush performance. It will be at least 6 months to a year before I can declare them troublefree though...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks