Is bigger better in my overflow tank?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by jmoser, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jmoser

jmoser New Member

I'm replacing my old 80 gal galvanized tank for my submersible pump well system. I'm thinking to buy the biggest welXtrol tank I can afford. My houselhold needs are small, with only 3 adults living in my home. But I water a little less than 2 acres using hoses s and sprinklers, which I do not run at maximum effiicency to keep my pump from cycling. I plan to intall an irrigation system in the future, and possibly irrigate most of my 5 acres, but I plan to have my well, pump etc analyzed to plan an appropriate system at that time.

Other than spending unnecssary dollars up front on a tank bigger than I might need, what are the drawbacks to having a very large tank?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

You may want to consider installing a Pside-kick instead of a big tank. It cost less, is smaller and will extend the life of your pump while giving you constant pressure.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if these guys are earning a commission for posting.

The P-side kick is fine if you want to get rid of a big tank. If you really want to go all out, a big tank AND a cycle stop valve will result in the least amount of pump cycles.
  4. jmoser

jmoser New Member

That is the plan I'm considering. I have read where cycleman recommends a smaller tank. I guess I feel like a larger tank is kind of insurance, in case for some reason the CSV is not in the system. My understanding is that an oversized tank with a csv will give lower or more variable pressure for a longer time until the tank pressure drops enough for the pump to kick in. Just wondering if this is significant enou to have concern. I guess if it didn't bother me before I wouldn't notice it much?
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

With the small tank, the pump will have to run every time you leave the sink running long enough to wash your hands or brush your teeth.

It is always better for the pump to run continuously rather than to have it cycling. This is where the CSV makes sense.

When I take a shower, I cannot tell any difference in the pressure between the switch's 40-60psi range.