Is Autotrol both a valve and a water-softener unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

jsteve

Reaction score
Hi All,

So, I'm working on getting a whole house water softener system installed. I've gotten 3 bids from local contractors. One that deals in Kinetico only (which I have ruled out mainly on cost, plus it being proprietary). The other 2 seem to both be offering great service and probably great products. With one of them he told me he deals in Clack and the unit we discussed was a Clack WS-1 48k grain unit.

Then the other contractor says he deals with Performa but also mentioned Autotrol when I asked which brand of valve. I somehow got the impression somewhere that the brand for the valve could be distinct from the brand on the unit that holds the resin. Is this true? But after looking around here a little, plus on the web I think I confused what he said. So, when he said Performa, is it possible he meant an "Autotrol Performa"? I.e. that the brand is Autotrol and the model is Performa? But basically that they're one and the same? Or does it mean it's a Performa tank with an Autotrol valve?

Sorry for my confusion. But I'm trying to understand the merits of the 2 different water softener systems since based on my perception of service from either of them I think I'd be very satisfied with either. And I'm wondering if quality of the actual product would help decide or is it really a coin flip.

Thanks for guidance and help. I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
--jan

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Clack and Autotrol are excellent, you cant go wrong with either one. I would base it on the guys experience, knowledge, and professionalism rather than the valve at this point. Make sure they are using USA made mineral and salt tanks, some companies sneak in some low end tanks in order to save some money. The Autotrol valve is nearly immune to dirt and debris due to the flapper design, the Clack is easier to rebuild in the future, but since both valves could last 10-20 years before they need rebuilding, I am not sure how compelling of an argument that is. The Clack also doesn't bang between cycles like a flapper design can do, but again, most people don't notice it anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks