Is access necessary behind tub fixtures?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Jseward, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Jseward

Jseward New Member

Please excuse the rookie question. I'm going to remove an old tub and reinstall a new one (fiberglass). Obviously I have to remove the overflow and drain fixtures on the tub and install new ones on the new tub. My question is do I need to have access to the fixtures from the "backside" of the wall in order to accomplish this? If so, it will be a problem since I have no access to that side of the wall.
    John
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

access

An ecperienced plumber would not need that access, but I am not sure if you have the necessary ability to make the installation that way. Doing it without access usually only gives you one chance to do it correctly, or you have to cut everything out and start over, and you normally do not get many chances to do so before you run out of room to cut it apart.
  3. John Bridge

John Bridge Mudmeister

I think you can do it with a plastic tub. You'll be able to lift the tub back out if you haven't adjusted the drain and overflow correctly. I sure wouldn't want to do it with a cast iron tub, though. :D
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hj

WE do it mainly with cast iron tubs, but with careful measuring it works for any tub.
  5. Jseward

Jseward New Member

thanks all-wish me luck-John
  6. RCraig

RCraig New Member

I know nothing but for your future sanity, it would be preferable to be able to have access. At least this is what I have found with plumbing problems over the years. Ruth