Is a WH supposed to be raised off the floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walkman

Reaction score
Is there a requirement/advantage to raising it off the floor?

I'm asking because my old water heater had 2" legs underneath it. It looks like the new ones are flat on the bottom.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea to install a WH in a drain pan, but no, with the new federal requirements, WH generally do not have to be raised up. If the floor typically got wet, you might want to raise it for that reason. Note, some locales require it in places like garages, but the new federal requirements make the new designs safe from gasoline vapors, so the added height does not add safety in that front, but still does from possibly being hit by a car in the garage.

Check with your local inspector and follow the installation requirements. If the two don't agree, do what the inspector says after showing him the instructions - he may relent, and he may not.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It varies but generally in a garage it must be 18" off the floor.

In my basement, my WH is flat on the floor. They no longer come with the short legs you mention because they were easily damaged and made moving/removing the WH more difficult.

It was easier moving the new one in than taking the old one out wasn't it?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think the regs vary depending on whether it's an electric or gas-powered WH. In any event, raising it off the floor makes attaching the hose to the drain a lot easier.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

IF it can be impacted by an automobile, it MUST be 18" above the floor regardless of gas or electric. Otherwise it depends on whether the city has adopted the latest gas code to allow the FVIR heaters to be on the floor. The reason for legs was that the old heaters drew their combustion air from underneath the heaters. The new ones draw it in from the sides.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
IF it can be impacted by an automobile, it MUST be 18" above the floor regardless of gas or electric.
Any idea why this is? Coincidentally (perhaps) the federal rule for bumper height (passenger cars only) is 16"-20".

I've seen other "expert" sites that claim there must be physical protection for a WH from impact by automobile, and that anything installed in a garage which could generate a spark to ignite gasoline fumes must be 18" above the floor -- including washers and dryers. They mention "national mechanical code" -- can anybody quote chapter & verse?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Of course. It is to raise the heater high enough so that a car cannot run into it. The alternative is to install bolster pipes in front of the heater to protect it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen a ton of washer dryers in the garage...that is how they did it here in the 60's through the mid 80's. Never saw even one raised up off the garage floor. When you think about it , that would seem to be a loophole in the code!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Water heaters down here are typically installed on the floor in the garage, without bollards. Gas water heaters must be 18" off of the floor.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
It may be for combustion reasons...every garage I've ever seen has oil stains on the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks