Is a tub/shower considered a tub, or shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

j_lynch

Reaction score
For drain purposes, is a tub/shower unit considered a tub or shower?

A shower requires a 2" trap, and a tub requires a 1 1/2" trap. I've got a 2" drain going to the stack, but 1 1/2" P-trap would be a lot easier to install.

Thanks, Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It depends on where it is and what the code says. Here, if the drain is under ground it has to be 2" to the trap or tub connection. Above ground it can be 1 1/2", but most plumbers, including me, still install a 2" line.

j_lynch

Reaction score
drain

hj, thanks for the reply.

I agree the 2' would be best. I forgot to mention that it is a Kohler "bubblemassage" bath. I think that would cassifiy as a whirlpool. I recall reading that whirlpools require 2" (?).

The insatll is on the 2nd floor and there is access from an adjecent closet. Albeit a small access area. I'm also concernd about leaks in the future. My options would be a p-trap w/union or solvent weld. Are the unions prone to leaking in the future? If I go with solvent, how could one clean out the p-trap, since you wouldn't be able to remove it?

Is there a better or preferd method for connecting to the drain/overflow than to use the standard 1 1/2' slip joint?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have a sound install for years to come.

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks