Is a Stainless Sink Strainer truely Stainless or Stainless Coated

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Kohler Duostrainer.
Finish was stainless. I'm not sure if it's stainless or their vibrant stainless.

Is the unit stainless coated brass or 100% stainless.
Just eyeballing things on my 6 year old stainer.
Methiks its stainless coated over brass Edges are showing wear-brass...

Just also ordering another one as well for a new faucet install....

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm doing more googling right now....
Not sure if the Vibrant Stainless was out when I installed it.

On their current crop, only Vibrant SS is offered. Not their regular.
Going to read up to see what the difference is.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
chrome would go over brass. A very good combo.

The "stainless" in cheap asian strainers and grills can be so low grade that it will rust.

Chefwong

Reaction score
A call to the mothership advised it's a PVD finish.

Just as I suspected.
At least it's made in the USA. Or so the stampings say...

Unlike my recent stash of Ridgid tools. When did they decide to go offshore.
I might as well buy Brasscraft or whatever they sell at the Orange and Blue Boxes

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Stainless and Stainless Steel is two different things.

There are many grades of Stainless Steel.

Many plastics are Stainless.

Many Stainless Steel grades will stain.

The old magnet trick don't tell much with the new Junk.

But time will tell...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are numerous alloys that are called stainless steel. Some are magnetic, some are stronger than others, some are springier, some bend easier, some are more or less resistant to various chemicals. As a class, they are less likely to corrode than steel, but depending on what and the percentages of elements the iron is alloyed with, the properties vary considerably. As noted, some SS alloys contain so little steel (iron) or nickel that a magnet won't stick (at least a normal magnet).

So, without knowing the actual alloy of the SS object, it's hard to characterize it's ultimate performace.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
What is PVD?

It's a coating, in a vacuum, they create a vapor of metalic compounds and it deposits on the desired surface. Choose the right combination of materials, and it can emulate almost any solid metal. It is often very durable. If done right, it is more even and you can get more variations than a typical wet plating process - often in one step rather than many without the caustic chemicals to deal with. the equipment can get expensive, though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is because the strainer is getting pans dropped and slid on it, and you may be using scratcher pads and scouring powders in the sink, none of which happen to a faucet.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is because the strainer is getting pans dropped and slid on it, and you may be using scratcher pads and scouring powders in the sink, none of which happen to a faucet.
Exactly. I had a polished brass (PVD) faucet in my bathroom, and a pop-up drain which was also the same finish. I have to say that the PVD finish, even on the drain, which did get cleaned with Softscrub Gel® and a little scrubbie because of mineral deposits, held up remarkably well; really, really well. Not a kitchen sink stainer, which does take more abuse, but we ran it through the wringer keeping it looking nice. We had it for 6 years before we replaced it because my wife wanted everything changed from polished brass finish to brushed nickel.

I've installed several kitchen sink stainless baskets in the past, and never had one that I was concerned about the finish going bad. Only problems I did have with some of them was the el cheapos had poor "threading" and or bad lock nuts that popped when trying to tighten them

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Some of the strainers in SS are really SS. If they start to look funky, they can be buffed back to their original look - it is not a plating, it is solid. If it is a faux finish, buffing might remove the thin coating, but real SS isn't something you plate onto another metal.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Some of the strainers in SS are really SS. If they start to look funky, they can be buffed back to their original look - it is not a plating, it is solid. If it is a faux finish, buffing might remove the thin coating, but real SS isn't something you plate onto another metal.

I did not mean to imply that it was. All the kitchen. The kitchen ones I installed that I mentioned above were all stainless steel. I have no idea what grade they were though, and there are quite a few.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks