Is a flexible water and gas line to a water heater ok in Illinois?

Discussion in 'Illinois Plumbing Code Questions' started by paulsiu, Jan 31, 2011.

1. paulsiu

paulsiu New Member

Hi

I live in Itasca, IL a suburb west of Chicago. I attempt to look into the IL code, but could not find any reference to this. I have gas coming out of a black iron gas pipe and water coming out from copper pipe from the roof of the basement.

My questions are:
    1. Am I allow to hook up the gas to the water heater using a short length of flexible gas line?
    2. Am I allow to hook up the water to the water heater using a short lengh of flexible water line?

Thanks.

Paul
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Very wordy code....but it does contain provision that a town may issue a permit if "....the applicant is the owner occupant of a single family residence that is the subject of the permit.or that the applicant is the owner occupant of a single family residence that is the subject of the permit."

In perusing the codes briefly, I could not answer the question about whether the code REQUIRES, ALLOWS, or PROHIBITS flexible connectore.
    I hope an IL plumber can help us with that.

In CA, flex connecors on gas and water connections are REQUIRED.
  3. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

In Illinois the water heater is required that the water pipes and gas to be hard piped. Also unions are required on the water piping. One more thing changing out a water heater requires a licensed plumber to do the job.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Illinois must not be in earthquake country.
    Do you even have to strap your tanks?

Or do you just worry about tornadoes taking the entire home away?
  5. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

No straps required unless mounted on a stand in a garage. Tornadoes is our worry in the flat lands here.