Is a flexible water and gas line to a water heater ok in Illinois?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Hi

I live in Itasca, IL a suburb west of Chicago. I attempt to look into the IL code, but could not find any reference to this. I have gas coming out of a black iron gas pipe and water coming out from copper pipe from the roof of the basement.

My questions are:
1. Am I allow to hook up the gas to the water heater using a short length of flexible gas line?
2. Am I allow to hook up the water to the water heater using a short lengh of flexible water line?

Thanks.

Paul

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Very wordy code....but it does contain provision that a town may issue a permit if "....the applicant is the owner occupant of a single family residence that is the subject of the permit.or that the applicant is the owner occupant of a single family residence that is the subject of the permit."

In perusing the codes briefly, I could not answer the question about whether the code REQUIRES, ALLOWS, or PROHIBITS flexible connectore.
I hope an IL plumber can help us with that.

In CA, flex connecors on gas and water connections are REQUIRED.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
In Illinois the water heater is required that the water pipes and gas to be hard piped. Also unions are required on the water piping. One more thing changing out a water heater requires a licensed plumber to do the job.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Illinois must not be in earthquake country.
Do you even have to strap your tanks?

Or do you just worry about tornadoes taking the entire home away?

Kenneth

Reaction score
In Illinois the water heater is required that the water pipes and gas to be hard piped. Also unions are required on the water piping. One more thing changing out a water heater requires a licensed plumber to do the job.

Sir, I inspect foreclosures in cook county,lake county, and McHenry county for Fannie Mae. They have a plumber going around on the hot water heaters and furnaces using a yellow flexible cord to hook up the gas lines to them. I told them this is against Illinois code and needs to be hard pipe. What is the right way?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks