Is a check valve important?

Users who are viewing this thread

dshortey

Reaction score
my family has a 350 gallon water tank bolted on a trailer which is used for a primary water source for a household water system. it is connected to a flotec model FP7120 pressure tank set at 28 psi which is connected to a Flotec Jet pump model FP4012 set at 30psi/50psi. now this particular setup doesn't have a check valve. when the pump is turned on, it constantly pumps. it never stops, it just keeps on pumping. I made sure that all of the faucets were turned off and there was no open conduit in the system so the pressure would be able to build to 50 psi. it does but 1 minute later, the pump starts again. My questions are, how important is it to have a check valve? does the pump itself act as an check valve? and if i need a check valve;where should it be installed; between the water tank and pump; or bewteen the pump and the house's water line?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A check valve, or a foot valve in the 350 gallon tank, is only required if you want the system to work.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not too fond of your equipment, but the check valve has to go between the pump and the/in the 350 gallon tank.

bob...

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
The pump (Flotec FP4012) probably has a built in checkvalve on the suction inlet. Most of the plastic pumps do. I would say that this check is no longer holding, so I would install another. It could be placed in front of the pump, or inside the tank.
Hope this helps.
Ron

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check Required

The specs on one ad for it say:

"Self-priming after pump housing is initially filled (Check Valve or Foot Valve required) "

The check valve must be installed on the suction side of the pump. If it is installed between the pump-mounted pressure switch and the tank you will have serious problems because the pressure at the pressure switch will go to zero as soon as the pump turns off, and it will cycle on-again-off-again, which will cause motor failure in just a few minutes.

Last edited:

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Most of the plastic pumps made by Starite (Teel, Craftsman, Flotec) have a builtin checkvalve in them. My Flotec manual didn't say anything about needing an external check/foot valve, so I mistakenly assume that it had one built in. I apologize for the misinformation. My Flotec book has been round filed.
Ron

dshortey

Reaction score
Bingo!!

Thank you all for your help. My family's independent water system now works like a charm! The CHECK VALVE was a vital part that was missing from the system. This teaches me a fact, dont absolutely trust the people at Home Depo! Or any commercial enity!!! Because they told us that the jet pump and the pressure pump was all we needed for our needs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks