Irrigation System well set up - Myers HJ100D

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rikmoor, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rikmoor

rikmoor New Member

First the data – I live on the coast in NC. I have a 2†well that was used for potable water for years until being annexed. I am converting this to an irrigation well. The well is 98’ deep. I recently installed a new Myers HJ100D – 1Hp pump and am getting 9 GPM at 35psi from an open end garden hose. With a 5 GPM sprinkler head attached, it is pumping at 55psi.

So this seems like a low flow to me. The pump came with a regulator installed. Can I take this regulator off? Or do I just need to back the adjustment screw all the way out for the highest flow? It also has a pressure switch. Should I take this off? Adjusting these didn’t seem to make any difference.

I’m trying to do what I can to get close to 20GPM for my irrigation system. And I want to get the flow maximized before I do my irrigations system design.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

lose the regulator.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Jet pumps require a regulator to hold at least 20# pressure on the system. . . I wouldn't remove the regulator! Depending on the pumping level (which will be hard to determine on a 2" well) 9 gpm at 35# is good for your pump.
  4. rikmoor

rikmoor New Member

One thing I'm going to try is to remove the old pipe/packer/foot valve and replace it all. Didn't want to do this since it will be 100' of pipe but oh well. Seems to be the next logical step if I don't have something I can do on the pump itself. The well is 40 years old. No telling what condition any of that is. And my pump came with a new packer so I might as well send her down. Plus this will give me the opportunity to determine the water level in the well.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Gotta a pile of jet pumps here and never saw anything resembleing a regulator on them.