Irrigation system runs then shuts off, then runs and shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

xnmmi77

Reaction score
Hello all!
Each section in my 4 zone system shuts off after almost 1 minute after popping up, then, drops and cycles back up again. All 4 zones do this for the time set to cycle. I changed out all 4 valves with new ones and replaced the entire length of wire. I found that the 500ma fuse in my controller was blown, I replaced that. The problem is still here. What next a new controller? (system is 15 y/o this summer, btw.)
Thanks in advance.
pick

xnmmi77

Reaction score
well, this is an active forum- i tried what another dead site said to do, remove the wire from each solenoid and run the system, no change, disconnected all 4 one at a time and the system still shut down and then recycled and started up again...on the way to get a new controller. maybe that will work. thanks for all the input form the 39 readers...

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Not much info was given.

The Model number of the controller would be nice.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you got your money's worth out of this site, so far.

You want free info? don't push and be respectful.

You want quicker results? hire a landscape contractor. Or try a new timer.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think it is the controller at all. I believe it is your pump tripping an automatic overload. After about a minute it will reset and try again. Does your pump system use a pressure tank or is it hooked to the sprinkler controller?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you got your money's worth out of this site, so far.

You want free info? don't push and be respectful.

You want quicker results? hire a landscape contractor. Or try a new timer.
Wow, even me, a New Yorker, missed his sarcastic remark. I thought people in SoCal are mellow. He must be a transplant from NY.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
did you check the voltage going to any of the solenoids when this happens? Do you have a well feeding this as valveman implies, or do you have "Public Water"? I almost wrote pubic water; oops I did.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Wow, even me, a New Yorker, missed his sarcastic remark. I thought people in SoCal are mellow. He must be a transplant from NY.

I would be pissed too if I replaced 4 valves and my shit still don't work. I would have wanted to know why the Fuse Blew, Not just start replacing parts.

The OP should have stopped by sooner.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would be pissed too if I replaced 4 valves and my shit still don't work. I would have wanted to know why the Fuse Blew, Not just start replacing parts.

The OP should have stopped by sooner.
There are troubleshooters and there are shot gunners. I deal with both every day on the phone during my part time tech support job.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score

You are missing the point. The guy is looking for free info, STAT. He even said so: WTF (my guess), 39 readers, in 3 hours can't give me the information I'M ENTITLED FOR?

Nothing to do with NY or CA - or even Iowa. But everything to do with being impatient, disrespectful and ungrateful.

This guy should hire a gardener and pay if he can't do it himself.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
And people in SoCal are mellow. You should see them move out of the way in police car chases. So casually.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Chances are there is no pump on this guy's sprinkler system.

Very basic, 4 zone system. Probably in a small residential garden.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm sure the OP is long gone. There is no point in guessing at it since the OP failed to provide enough details.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks