Irrigation System Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

System48

Reaction score
I am working towards installing an irrigation system and I am starting with getting the water supply setup. I currently have two Proflo frost free bibs fed by long runs of 1/2" CPVC through a few elbows. I'll be replacing the two existing bibs with Woodford Model 19 3/4" swt, doing sweat connections now and eventually re-plumbing to PEX so i can just sweat a pex adapter and keep the bibs. I'll be changing the supply lines to 3/4" copper, re-plumbing back to where my 3/4" CPVC is and minimizing elbows and using long radius elbows where needed. I'd stick with CPVC up to the bib but I can't seem to find long 3/4" CPVC elbows. I'll also be adding ball valve shut-offs before the bib just for future service work if ever needed, alternative is shutting off my main. Finally, I'll be adding a Woodford Model 32 to supply the future irrigation system. This will also be the 3/4" swt but I will plumb it back to where I have 1" CPVC off the main and run 1" copper up to the bib and then reduce to 3/4". Does anyone have experience with the Model 32? I get static pressure at 55 PSI but I'm not sure of my max flow rate from my municipal supply, I'm just hoping it will be enough.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why are you using CPVC? This has a smaller inside diameter than PVC and is more expensive. This small diameter will severely restrict the water flow. You really should get up to speed on laws regarding using municipal water supply for irrigation, and perhaps some advice from an irrigation supplier on what size and type of material you should use.

System48

Reaction score
Why are you using CPVC? This has a smaller inside diameter than PVC and is more expensive. This small diameter will severely restrict the water flow. You really should get up to speed on laws regarding using municipal water supply for irrigation, and perhaps some advice from an irrigation supplier on what size and type of material you should use.

The house is new construction, plumbed entirely with CPVC, so that's what I am starting with. For the two current hose connections, there's a 3/4" stub from a 1" tee and then it's reduced to 1/2". On one it runs 1/2" for a total length of roughly 25' through 4x 90 elbows. On the other it's about a 15' run through 1/2". I'll be cutting back to the 3/4" CPVC and running 3/4" copper through long radius elbows. For the irrigation line I'll be tying into the 1" CPVC main with a tee and change over to 1" copper and also using long radius elbows.

Local township rules on lawn irrigation only restricts use to every other day and require an additional backflow preventer on the irrigation line.

Reading over your comment again, we're you thinking I would be using CPVC in the ground?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just couldn't understand why you were including CPVC in your irrigation scheme. It's good they town requires a BF, there are Federal regulations, but some places ignore them. These devices should be check annually to verify that they are working. My city requires it and will disconnect water service if not done. Once in awhile the inspector will find a leak, but he always has parts to make the repair. Not frequent nor expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks