Irrigation Pump Starts Intermittently

Users who are viewing this thread

JoePC

Reaction score
My irrigation pump starts intermittently when it should not. I have checked and reset the Orbit Sprinkler Timer and that did not resolve the problem. The pump continues to start and stop in very short bursts even when the sprinkler zone timer is set to the Off position. Could the solenoid in the irrigation pump switch be faulty? Thanks for your help.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's just one anti siphon valve out of a few you have going crazy - chances are that it's defective.

If it's all your valves - then it could be the control unit.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A good chance it's the pump relay. The irrigation timer puts out 24 v AC to a relay that closes the AC voltage to the pump. Usually it's a double pole double throw relay. It be in a separate box between the AC power and the pump with a low voltage wire from the timer. The relay for some reason is closing. Either the contacts are burning closed with just a hair spacing between them while off or the irrigation timer for some reason is putting out 24v to the relay. Open up the relay box and check it. There could be ants or other insects decided to nest in it. I would disconnect the 24v wire to the relay and wait to see if the pump starts up. if it does it's the pump relay, if it doesn't act up then it's the timer. Open the timer box to check for bug infestation.

Disconnect any rain sensor if there is one just to eliminate it for a short while to trouble shoot.

will look similar pictured in this URL
http://bigfrogsupply.com/products/p...=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=10591997571

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks