Irrigation pressure regulator adjustment : lock nut is too tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian P

Reaction score
I've moved into a house ~20 years old and possibly nothing has changed in the irrigation system since then. None of the sprinkler heads pop up. House has a flat backyard section leading to an upslope and the water pressure is quite weak (there is a faucet hooked into the outdoor line and another faucet on the indoor line.. and the difference between indoor and outdoor pressure is just night and day). Troubleshooting this system, I started at the main boxes (round green covers) close to the curb .. one irrigation box has the shutoff valve, the other has a pressure regulator.
However I am having trouble loosening the lock net. Its just frozen shut. I am worried that working it too hard is going to cause some permanent damage to the pressure regulator and I could find myself with a much bigger problem.
I also notice that the adjustment nut is pretty much screwed in all the way tight. Doesn't this mean that the pressure is already at its max ?
Any tips on how I should proceed here. Or if the pressure regulator is already at max pressure, I can continue my troubleshooting elsewhere.

thanks
-Brian

Photos
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b134xbe4ro4x6lp/0704160934.jpg?dl=0

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should be able to unscrew and remove the top or spring cage of the PRV. Then you can work on the bolt and see if the spring is broken. I think either the spring is broken or the valve is just stuck. Probably needs some maintenance, but it might just be easier to replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks