iron pipe plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you tell me if it's safe to replace an iron pipe plug (for a drum trap, or clean out), with a plug made of pvc? If not why?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plug

If it is inverted, then the plastic plug may not always seal watertight, especially if there was an iron plug in it previously, and I am amazed that you could even get an iron plug out of it. A brass plug, or a regular drum trap cover with a "flange" and gasket might be the very best option. It is the only way we ever sealed drum traps.

Reaction score
Thanks HJ,

Many old homes here in Chicago were built with cast iron drum traps, and they have to be drilled out, and cracked. So, as a result, I thought that replacing it with one made out of PVC would be okay. Thanks for your input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drum traps

Many? How about almost all of them. I never installed anything but a drum trap during the twenty years I was in the Chicago area. But I never used anything but the regular covers for them, and never a cast iron plug, even in cleanout fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks