Iron in the well water

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Oliver, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Does anybody know how to filter it??

Thank You!
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I use greensand filters with Pottassium Permangenate as and oxident. You can also use air to oxidize (my preference) it just costs more.

How much iron do you have and what kind is it?

bob...
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Depending on how much iron and hardness you have, a softener works well. I use specially built softeners on up to 5 ppm of iron.
  4. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Good question.

I am in Colorado (western slop). All wells around here are used for irrigation. They contain a lot of iron. How much? I have to do lab tests. My well was just drilled. A sample in a jar was looking transparent, but after 2 days it became red.

I am plannig to use (if possible) the water from the well in my future swimning pool.

Thanks for the replys.
  5. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Sounds like you have what we call Clear Water Iron. It will have to be oxidized first then trapped out.

Gary and I differ in our taking iron out with Softeners. I have had just about no luck doing so, nor has anyone else in my area. I'm sure it's because of the different kinds of water you encounter in different areas. What works for you may not work for me etc.

If your into buying one, I recommend you go with Gary. He will take good care of you and he may know something I don't.

bob...
  6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You need a water test for hardness, iron, pH and TDS at least. Coliform bacteria would be good too. Then you know what type treatment can work and what won't.

Any odor to this water?