Iron Filter Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

C@TCH

Reaction score
i had my water tested and was told iron level is high and should get a filter.
My toilets are getting discoloured when not flushed for awhile but it looks greyish to me
although in the tank it's orange. It was recommended to get a Rainfresh Cafe 948 Iron Filter
Just want to get everyone's thoughts on this or should I look at other ones.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I expect your water supply is a private well?
What is the tested iron amount? Any sulfur odor?
Have you had the water tested for minerals, contaminants, bacteria, pH or hardness?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would go with a 4.5 X 20 Big Blue filters. Maybe two or three filters, a sediment filter followed by an iron filter and then an activated carbon filter. It might work fine with out the sediment filter.

Big Blue 2
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-bbfs-22-water-filtration-system.html
Big Blue 3
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-bbfs-222-three-housing-water-filter-system.html

Iron Filter
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-rffe20-bb-iron-water-filter.html

Activated Carbon
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-ep-20bb-comparable-whole-house-water-filter-by-tier1.html

Sediment Filter
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-ecp5-20bb-water-filters.html

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would not recommend BB filters for reduction. The Pentek BB iron reduction filter is basically a radial flow filter design with some manganese dioxide ore based media instead of GAC. Not very effective for applications like whole house. It can be useful for very small application ie: POU filtration. It has too little media to be effective at flow rates that are common in households and the capacity is very limited. Then again, we sell a ton of these filters to companies that like the high maintenance costs and repeat business that they create. Same for the BB carbon, way to small to be effective for any length of time in a whole house application. These typically can require frequent changeouts costing way too much time and effort to be worth it. The sediment filter would be fine, but with a properly designed backwashing carbon system, these aren't usually needed as the carbon does a decent job filtration. katalox light n better with a rating of 3-5 microns and is self cleaning during the backwash cycle. I would avoid the system you mentioned, if I recall correctly, and it has been a long time since I have seen Rainfresh Café unit, I believe it was a cheap knockoff valve. You may want to ask what media they use. If it is anything other than Katalox Light, I would ask them to upgrade it. Also ask for a Clack or Fleck valve, not a cheap knockoff. I know they sell real Fleck parts, so see what they can offer you.

C@TCH

Reaction score
I would not recommend BB filters for reduction. The Pentek BB iron reduction filter is basically a radial flow filter design with some manganese dioxide ore based media instead of GAC. Not very effective for applications like whole house. It can be useful for very small application ie: POU filtration. It has too little media to be effective at flow rates that are common in households and the capacity is very limited. Then again, we sell a ton of these filters to companies that like the high maintenance costs and repeat business that they create. Same for the BB carbon, way to small to be effective for any length of time in a whole house application. These typically can require frequent changeouts costing way too much time and effort to be worth it. The sediment filter would be fine, but with a properly designed backwashing carbon system, these aren't usually needed as the carbon does a decent job filtration. katalox light n better with a rating of 3-5 microns and is self cleaning during the backwash cycle. I would avoid the system you mentioned, if I recall correctly, and it has been a long time since I have seen Rainfresh Café unit, I believe it was a cheap knockoff valve. You may want to ask what media they use. If it is anything other than Katalox Light, I would ask them to upgrade it. Also ask for a Clack or Fleck valve, not a cheap knockoff. I know they sell real Fleck parts, so see what they can offer you.
Thanks Impact I will try to find out what they use in their softeners.

C@TCH

Reaction score
I checked their website and found they use BIRM as a medium.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks