Iron filter before or after

Users who are viewing this thread

Brokersdad

Reaction score
/I had a new well drilled about a year or so ago and my iron is about 5, magnesuim is higher than desires. I had my softner guy here the other day and we were talking about the rotten smell I get and some staining still happening.
We started talking of options I have to treat this, one being Greensand filter or an Iron filter. I have an Ecowater Iron unit here I no longer use, and he said he personally doesn't like using them due to the airator causing the reaction in the pipes and valve, and the iron unit itself plugging up often. He did suggest if I wanted to try it he would rebed it for me but recommends I install it after the softner just to catch the remaining iron leaching through and said it may clear the smell. He did say he wasn't sure because he hardly ever uses them. He wanted me to try a well shock first to see if that helped me as he said I do have some iron bacteria and thought that may contribute to my issue.
Guess i'm just looking for some other opinions as which machine to use and if it's the Iron filter, will going after the softner make my water to hard or hinder my water quality. Anyone ever install after ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
/He did suggest if I wanted to try it he would rebed it for me but recommends I install it after the softner just to catch the remaining iron leaching through and said it may clear the smell.
It makes no sense to me to install it after. The iron fouls the resin and depletes the ion charge. The iron filter needs to be before the softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
Greensand media is relatively cheap. I would try cleaning that existing filter and rebuilding as needed. Consider replacing the media. Definitely do not put that after the water heater. It uses potassium permanganate for regeneration usually.

You probably mean manganese rather than magnesium.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah, I did, but after the heater would be really bad. :)

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, long day for everybody. Any water guy who would put an iron removal system after a softener should not be in this industry. Time to go fill tortillas with beans and asking if you would like a soda with that.

The aeration systems work but they do require some extra work due to the fouling that the precipitated iron creates. I prefer other methods but our Aeration sytems are still big sellers. Chlorine regeneration designs are simple and effective.

You should look at putting in a modern iron removal system or even a simple chlorinator/contact tank/ carbon tank. Cheap and extremely effective.

Brokersdad

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies. I didn't think the Iron filter after the Softner would make much sense. Just to be clear also on the Green sand filter if I did go that route..that should also be before the Softner correct? I believe that's what you were saying Reach4 but wanted to be clear you weren't in fact talking Iron filter

Reach4

Reaction score
Clearly Backwashing filter first. Cartridge filter (which will not have much to do), if you have one, next, Possibly run a tap for drinking and plant watering at that point. Then the softener.

The greensand filter is a backwashing iron and manganese filter. I have not seen one, but I understand it has a solution tank like my iron and sulfur backwashing filter has . A tap installed nearby is useful when I fill my 15 gallon solution tank every 5 weeks. Mine uses 1.5 gallons of bleach topped up with 13.5 gallons of water. Yours uses pot perm plus water I think. While you are plumbing in the basement, adding a tap is not much extra.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Any water guy who would put an iron removal system after a softener should not be in this industry. Time to go fill tortillas with beans and asking if you would like a soda with that...
Maybe we could reinstate the death penalty?

Agreed, aeration systems are high maintenance. I need to periodically remove the buildup on the micronizer and rod out the line between the precip tank and the filter. The micronizer limits flow and pressure as well.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Greensand filters work but they are not my first choice. Simpler system designs and eliminating the use of Pot Perm has become the common treatment method for most companies.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you want to identify how much manganese you have before selecting a new system. Also, have you noted sulfur?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Brokersdad:

Was a comprehensive water analysis done when you drilled the well? If so, please post the test results.

If a test was not done initially or if conditions have since changed, it is advisable to now obtain a full water analysis to see what conditions you are dealing with in both type and quantity.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
The type of filtration system is based on a water analysis. This should have been done when the well was drilled. It should be done occasionally to see if any major changes have occurred. You could also get a few basic test kits for a reasonable price. Lets see your water reults then we can make some recommendations.

Brokersdad

Reaction score
Ph =7.06
Alkalinity (mg/l) =34
Hardness (mg/l) = 152
Iron (mg/l) = 5.73
Magnesium (mg/l) = 7.15
Manganese (mg/l) = 0.23
Sulphate (mg/l) = 30.60

Had my water softner rebedded a year ago and my water is livable, just thinking it would be nice to get rid of the smell.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Considering your water, and the "smell", a simple chlorine or similar oxidant regeneration Manganese dioxide ore based system, or a chlorine injector. retention tank or similar device with a GAC tank would give you good results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks