Iron Buster versus Water Right Impression Filter + Impression Iron Filter (pls help!)

Users who are viewing this thread

jennifer1960

Reaction score
Hi, I am a total rookie at this. I have a house with a natural well and the water now comes in through a simple plastic filter with a cartridge that I change about every day, but in the summer less as i am in the house full time and the water tends to clear after a few days (but still needs replacing, just less frequently). Water doesn't smell. No bacteria. get a little staining under shower head, but not bad. Looks slightly reddish and sediments in it when i first run it into the filter, thus clogging it often. Iron is 1.5. Hardness, 2 gpg. PH 6.2. TDS 500 mg/l. I don't know what the numbers mean, but they are on the water report. Water tastes fine.

One guy wants to sell me a Water Right Impression tank filter AND the impression iron tank filter AND a big blue cartridge filter. $3550.00
Also recommends upgrading my well pump and thats about $2500.00

The other says I just need an Iron Buster, for about $2000.00

I have no clue what to do. Please help!! Jennifer.

Reach4

Reaction score
The "Iron Buster" is probably about right. It would backwashing and have birm, catalalytic carbon ( Centaur Carbon is the leading brand), or a mix. Centaur Carbon is a pricey media, but it is very good for me. I would be tempted to follow that with a big blue filter housing which you could populate with a filter or leave empty if there is no need. Those 20x4.5 inch filters hold a lot more, and yet the cartridges are reasonably priced and readily available. I put 3 such housings after my backwashing filter. Yes, it was overkill. I left the first housing empty, put a 50..5 micron variable filter second, and a 1 micron wound filter third. When I changed the filters after 13 months, the first filter looked almost new, and the last filter looked new. I felt good about that. Better to over-do than under-do. So knowing what I know now, I would have only put 2 housings, and that would still be an over-do. Use polypropylene filters on a well. Maybe you could get by with celulose with your current filter, since the element is not there long enough for anything to grow.

My well has more iron and sulfur, and my 1.5 ft[sup]3[/sup] Centaur Carbon backwashing filter has done wonders. My well water is different from yours; for example your water is acidic. But still, a backwashing filter is good. He has a good profit priced in there, but he is providing a service. I expect to send you a private message, so click on Notifications above.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Jennifer,

I would suggest re-posting your question in an alternate fashion. Your current question solicits a reply to one product verses the other whereas there may be other products or methods which may provide a better or less expensive remedy.

I recommend asking the professionals here, their advice on your water quality issues. While they might recommend one of the products you mention, they could also suggest an alternate method you are not aware of.

This forum has many members who are not in the water quality business, who offer their own ideas and recommendations. Although well meaning, they may not possess the qualifications, background or experience to be able to advise the most appropriate solution for your specific water issue. If numerous ideas are presented, this can become confusing for you as a 'rookie' as you won't know which recommendation to rely upon. If an initial recommendation doesn't work, it can quickly become extremely expensive trying remedy after remedy or buying equipment you may not need.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Jennifer, I assume you are wanting someone to do this for you and not DIY. I would recommend calling a smaller dealer if you have any other dealers locally, give them a shot as well.

Low pH, a little iron, and almost no hardness. Your calculations are missing something, what is making up the majority of the rest of your tds? We are only seeing 35 ppm of 500. More information would be helpful. Otherwise, you are limited to what the local guys are going to promote.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks