IRC P3005.5 Connections to offsets and bases of stacks: Explain Please

Users who are viewing this thread

WoodenTent

Reaction score
In working to cross my i's and dot my t's I found this section in IRC2015 and no matter how many times I read it, I have no idea what it's talking about. Can someone give an explanation as to what it is talking about, maybe a sketch?

P3005.5 Connections to Offsets and Bases of Stacks.

Horizontal branches shall connect to the bases of stacks at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the stack. Horizontal branches shall connect to horizontal stack offsets at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the upper stack.

I'm not a fan of double negatives in code statements, but can't get my head around what is going on. I'm thinking of branches connecting to stacks (sanitary tee, or a wye, etc) and being low on the stack. What am I missing from where branches connect anyplace in the DWV system. Is there something I'm missing in "base of stack". Does it have a more specific meaning. For me "base of stack" is anyplace near the floor, where it's elbow takes the stack horizontal. Is there something more specific here.

I need to connect horizontal branches to my vertical stack in my basement just above the base of the stack, which was fine till I read this and started to wonder if I was suddenly missing something.

utah student

Reaction score
I believe having a pipe to close to the base of the stake might cause what is called a "hydraulic jump". From my understanding if this happens it could mess with your trap seals because of pressure fluctuation. Keeping the branch connections 10 dia from there helps keep a more uniform flow. If I am wrong I would like to hear why so I can also learn from this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are NO "double negatives". They are referring to the horizontal section AFTER it makes the turn at the base of the stack. You cannot connect between the turn and the required downstream distance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks