IPS / NPT Angle Stops - Outdated Practice

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chefwong, May 11, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong Member

Is using nipples/FPT ~outdated~ in use/design/practice.

It's been awhile since I've done a major renov, but for any project with *exposed* plumbing, I generally use Chrome Nipples, with Chrome FPT angle stops.

For this application, it's a bathroom.
    I am also planning to incorporate a tile-over access panel, somewhere withing the bathroom where I'll be putting stop valves for the water feeds to the bathroom.

I suppose it's a personal aesthetic decision, as the 5/8 will expose some copper, depending on how close you *cut it*.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF you cut it "close enough" there will be no copper exposed, but few installer, or customers, get anal about it. Unless you like crawling around under a sink to see how the supply valves are connected.
  3. asktom

asktom Member

I like to use brass nipples, but not chrome. I use a length that leaves the stop close to the chrome flange. Like HJ says, unless you crawl under and nose around you never see the brass.
  4. chefwong

chefwong Member

Similar Concept Tom. My POV is that if the stop is chrome, the *exposed piece* from a aesthetics should be all the same finish Hence, I use chrome nipples. They come in all different lengths and depending on RO, I generally aim to have about 2 inches of nipple between the flange and the bottom of the valve.

I do like exploring the idea of using compression stops but I still prefer the *look* of a particular supple stop.
  5. asktom

asktom Member

I go for about 1/8" between the valve and flange. I prefer threaded stops because, having done mostly repair plumbing, I have noticed there is much less chance of problems when changing threaded stops.
  6. jm66208

jm66208 Member

+1 on everything asktom says.