Ipc 2003 handbook - bath group/wet vent

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fidodie, Dec 2, 2008.

1. fidodie

fidodie New Member

I'm staring at a picture of a horizontal wet vent figures 9.13 & 9.14 in the 2003 intl plumbing code book - here is a link - i'm 95% sure that is what we uses as of last year sometime. this example is a back-to-back bath group (terminology check?) with a single vent - it looks wet, and it looks horizontal....

Is it now up to the local code to "allow" this? I have a situation where i'm working close to a joist and would like to keep the plumbing running down one bay - so a vertical vent without a large notch in a joist might be difficult - the lav vent is in the next joist bay, it is back-to-back with a laundry room sink (more kitchen type than slop sink)

summary: 2" vent - shower t'd into vertical - meets downstream of w.c. at 3x3x2 wye, turned up 45deg. clean-out upstream of w.c. 3" wye. I have room to work - 12" joist, and not much in the way electric-wise - although i may have to work around the hot-water heat loops.

thanks as alway -

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

Because the shower is attached to it, there is little possibility of the vent becoming obstructed and staying that way, which makes it permissable. The lavatory/laundry drain is a bit more complicated than necessary.
  3. fidodie

fidodie New Member

thank you!

The lav/laundry drain drops into the neighboring joist bay - and just clips
    the top of the joist - knocked out about 1/2 inch - i probably could have turned back into the center of the joist and used it as the vent - but rather than drill it, i just created its own 4' horizontal run - there is also a soffit to hide the vent pipes above - making life easy.

Was your comment directed at connecting on the horizontal rather than vertical?