Internet explorer or Moxilla Firefox

Users who are viewing this thread

alleonna

Reaction score
hello guys... I've using using Internet Explorer for quite a long time but my friend suggest that I use Moxilla Firefox because it is better. Anyone who can tell me the difference? Which actually is better?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
This can be almost a religious war with some folks and for the most part is a matter of preference. I have used IE almost exclusively since ver 6.0 came out. I do so for a couple reasons the biggest of which it is installed with my OS. Also, since the vast majority of users on the web use IE most sites are developed with IE in mind and will pretty much guarentee you will be getting the most out of each site. That in mind one HUGE gap IE 6 has is a lack of browser tabs (which rock). I jumped to the Beta2 version of IE when it came out which IMO is awesome however, since it is BETA it is not generally supported by a lot of sites althought 95% of the sites I hit work fine with it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I tried the firefox but could not get it to interface with my IP ( Netzero). That is mostly because I am "computer-challenged" ! But unitl things like this are more user friendly for folks like me, then they will remain in the realm of the geek! I think part of the problem is that IE is designed to not let go easily!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What Gouranga said, mostly. IE has a well-deserved reputation for being vulnerable to malware attacks, so initially Mozilla leveraged that to attract early adopters. As the bullies discovered the new kid on the block, they shifted some resources to developing Firefox attacks, and in the meantime Microsoft improved IE's defenses, so I think it's now a wash, although Microsoft will undoubtedly remain the more attractive target in spite of Bill Gates' good works. I'm not a great fan of browser tabs, so that's not an argument pro or con for me.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have used Firefox as a back up for Apple's Safari because I've always been a mac user. I like it though. As I recall,Much nicer GUI than IE from my limited experience with it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I switched to Mozilla Firefox about 3 years ago and it has worked well for me. I have cable ISP and there is no problem. Favorites will transfer to Bookmarks and that's simple. I even have a Bookmark for IE site that I didn't choose to move. If the need arises, I still have IE, it's just not my active browser. Why not try it. If you don't like it, go back to IE. I'm sure there are those who swear by Mozilla and those who swear at it, and visa versa. :)

OldHouse

Reaction score
Been using foxfire for about a year now. Really have gotten to like it. I do like the tabs. Didn't think I'd even care at first. Have various themes now and such. Nice, simple. I like it. I don't have any problems with IE though either. There are much more important things to get passionate about :D

hehhe
OH

johnapril

Reaction score
jimbo said:
I tried the firefox but could not get it to interface with my IP ( Netzero). That is mostly because I am "computer-challenged" ! But unitl things like this are more user friendly for folks like me, then they will remain in the realm of the geek! I think part of the problem is that IE is designed to not let go easily!

I use NetZero's $9.95/month modem service and Firefox as well as Safari on my Mac. Works great. Some sights don't work on one, so I use the other.

CCbrands1

Reaction score
ie or ff

anyone would be hard pressed to find big reasons to switch from one to the other.

you'll probably find a bit more support (microsoft) with ie.

all other reasons are pretty much asthetic.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
IE is antique compared with Firefox. It is 200% faster than IE.

I use it as a backup for Safari. Not only that if and when my computer gets buggy or freezes--instead of restarting-many times all problems will vanish by booting up and switching to Firefox which I keep bookmarked/on my desktop.
Thats how it works on my Mac.

rcav8or

In the Trades
Reaction score
FireFox, 99% of the time...

I have been using FireFox since it first came out. I don't like the Thunderbird email, I prefer Eudora.

The only problem with FireFox is that there are a few sites that will only work with IE, like anything Microsoft, XM Radio, and a few others. I've only run into a few of them, though.

Roger

Marc

Reaction score
Firefox is a bit faster and a bit lighter on resource usage. I haven't come across a website it doesn't work with in years.

But where it excels is the fact it's far less likely to get spyware/viruses/etc. while browsing the web with it. That alone is worth using it for.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Mitchedo

Reaction score
Why I use Firefox

ccbrands1 said:
anyone would be hard pressed to find big reasons to switch from one to the other.

you'll probably find a bit more support (microsoft) with ie.

all other reasons are pretty much asthetic.

I switched to Firefox a couple of years ago shortly after I had to rebuild the TCP/IP stack in my son's computer. He'd gotten some drive-by hijacker that had integrated itself into the stack. When I removed it, networking no longer worked. I switched the whole house to Firefox and we haven't had a drive-by hijacking since. ActiveX is a Bad Thing!

BenRad

Reaction score
don't forget about extensions...

Another nice thing about Firefox is the fact that you can customize and enhance it by using extensions. Some of the extensions I use and can't live without:

Adblock Plus & Adblock Filterset.G Updater - Blocks out all web ads. Makes browsing much more enjoyable.

Auto Copy - Highlight some text on a web page and it automatically copies it to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

Forecastfox - Weather in the status bar of your browser.

DownThemAll - If you find a page with a bunch of things you'd like to download, DownThemAll can...well, download them all for you.

GoogleToolbar - I know, IE has one too, but I was just mentioning it.

PDF Download - Gives you the option of opening, or just saving a PDF file, instead of wondering if your browser has crashed while it chokes on a big file.

Tab Mix Plus - Adds tons of options to your tabbed browsing. Let's you restart the browser with all the same tabs that were open when you closed it. Reorder tabs, add close buttons to all your tabs, etc.

There are thousands more....All of these can be found here: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions.php?app=firefox

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks