Insulation next to hot water copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Boo, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo New Member

Just had water heater moved to our garage when our new copper pipes were installed, so we now have pipes running in the wall between the garage and kitchen where there were previously none. During the repiping process, we found water damaged drywall/insulation due to a latent leak in the roof.

The good news is that we have beautiful new copper pipes throughout and a brand new roof (cha-ching! $$) but I now have a question regarding insulation resting against the hot water pipes.

We're using R-13 paper-backed fiberglass insulation and are wondering if this can sit right next to the hot water pipe. Or, is there some special material we should be using in addition to the insulation?

Thanks!!:confused:
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

You're good.

Even hot water radiator pipes, which are about twice as hot as the hot water that comes out of your tap, have no restrictions about what touches them.

The restrictions come into it, only once there's combustion involved: flues, chimneys, and such.
  3. Boo

Boo New Member

Thanks, Frenchie!

I thought I was being too retentive, but when it comes to possible fire, I don't want to take any chances. I checked Owens Corning's site and the data safety sheet info didn't say anything about restrictions other than lighting (luckily I'm familiar with IC/non-IC from working on the attic recessed lighting!) and direct heat sources - but better safe than sorry.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! :)