Insulation next to hot water copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Boo

Reaction score
Just had water heater moved to our garage when our new copper pipes were installed, so we now have pipes running in the wall between the garage and kitchen where there were previously none. During the repiping process, we found water damaged drywall/insulation due to a latent leak in the roof.

The good news is that we have beautiful new copper pipes throughout and a brand new roof (cha-ching! $$) but I now have a question regarding insulation resting against the hot water pipes.

We're using R-13 paper-backed fiberglass insulation and are wondering if this can sit right next to the hot water pipe. Or, is there some special material we should be using in addition to the insulation?

Thanks!!:confused:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You're good.

Even hot water radiator pipes, which are about twice as hot as the hot water that comes out of your tap, have no restrictions about what touches them.

The restrictions come into it, only once there's combustion involved: flues, chimneys, and such.

Boo

Reaction score
Thanks, Frenchie!

I thought I was being too retentive, but when it comes to possible fire, I don't want to take any chances. I checked Owens Corning's site and the data safety sheet info didn't say anything about restrictions other than lighting (luckily I'm familiar with IC/non-IC from working on the attic recessed lighting!) and direct heat sources - but better safe than sorry.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! :)

Tischman1

Reaction score
You're good.

Even hot water radiator pipes, which are about twice as hot as the hot water that comes out of your tap, have no restrictions about what touches them.

The restrictions come into it, only once there's combustion involved: flues, chimneys, and such.

I just removed some insulation from a bathroom (outside wall). It was charred. There is nothing electrical in the area. The only thing that could have caused the insulation to char in there would be the hot water pipe for the baseboard water heating. I see the original post is from 2007 so maybe things (advice) have changed since then?

Attachments

• charred insulation.jpg
    charred insulation.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 3,171
  • charred insulation in wall.jpg
    charred insulation in wall.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,388

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The only thing that could have caused the insulation to char in there would be the hot water pipe for the baseboard water heating.

Hot water pipes, of any kind, even steam which is much hotter, have NEVER been hot enough to char anything.

Tischman1

Reaction score
quote; The only thing that could have caused the insulation to char in there would be the hot water pipe for the baseboard water heating.

Hot water pipes, of any kind, even steam which is much hotter, have NEVER been hot enough to char anything.

What do you think caused the insulation in the pictures I provided to do what it did? There is nothing else in the space to cause the charring. It was totally enclosed until I opened the wall.

Hmmm....perhaps the tile saw caused it? I used a dry tile saw to cut through some of the grout....I'll bet that's what it was......I didn't think I went all the way through the tile and the backer board.

Well that's a relief. It appears that the tile saw is probably the cause.

Thanks for the reply. I feel much better now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks