Insulation below Copper Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Barbourdg

Reaction score
Question, we are ready to install our Copper "drop in" tub, and was curious if anybody else has worked with copper tubs?

The bottom of the tub has some flex, so we need to use foam or something to insulate and build some support for the tub. Our first thought was to use some foam underneath the tub, fill the tub with water and let it set hard. My buddy remembers some type of marsh mellow texture stuff, but can't find it now. We did build the support frame about 1/2 inch high.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thank you
Robin

IMG_2869.jpg
IMG_2868.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Barbourdg

Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas? Is spray foam the only option we have for underneath? The bottom of the tub has a little flex, so we can't just lay it flat on the concrete. So far spaying foam and filling the tub with water for 24 hours is the only solution we came up with.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anybody have any ideas? Is spray foam the only option we have for underneath? The bottom of the tub has a little flex, so we can't just lay it flat on the concrete. So far spaying foam and filling the tub with water for 24 hours is the only solution we came up with.
Normally a deck tub like that we set with mortar mix. Small piles placed below that spread out to conform to the tub when it's dropped in. You can place some plastic sheeting over the mortar piles too.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We also use plaster under tubs. Anything that will spread uniformly and dry solid. I don't think foam is good for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks