Insulation above shower drop ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
First post so bear with me...

I am working on air sealing for my 1965 ranch style home in NJ, and noticed that the insulation in the attic above the tiled shower is black and brittle (kraft paper) and falling apart. I want to remove the existing R-12 and add a significant increase in R value but not sure how to do it without creating a moisture sandwich?

I was debating between adding polyiso/Rmax sheets over the area in the attic and sealing them, or just stuffing unfaced batts all around the enclosure and trying to seal above with jointed and caulked plywood to also serve as an attic deck.

I can't really find any recommendations online after a few hours of searching... Thanks for the help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Make sure there is a vapor barrier between the back side of the exterior walls and alcove ceiling and attic interior, and then apply the insulation over it. If you have fiberglass insulation already, blowing cellulose over the top of it is the best way to add insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks