Insulating WC cistern

Users who are viewing this thread

pegrant

Reaction score
I am having problems with condensation build-up on the outisde of my porcelain w.c cistern, due to the fill being sourecd directly from the main cold water supply. I read a reply on an older board suggesting insulating the inside of the cistern with foam. Any ideas of what kind of foam (and glue if necassary) that I should use? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the water is really cold, insulation may not stop the condensation. Insulation only slows the transferance of heat, not stops it. Just a trivia thing, there is no such thing as cold, it is the absence of heat. Heat moves from warmer to colder areas, always trying to even things out. INsulation slows that transfer.

It may be better to bite the bullet and buy a mixing valve and run a little hot water to the fill to temper the input. My unprofessional opinion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most insulated tanks have styrofoam.
I don't think it needs to be very thick to work.
Glue? I would only be guessing.

First thing to check though, would be the flapper.
If the flapper is leaking, you will certainly have a sweating tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks