Insulating Water Pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chefwong, Mar 18, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Between Fiberglass vs. Armaflex, which material is more *insulating* for water pipes.

I've noticed in commercial jobs, the guys use the fiberbglass wraps more.

Love to hear the pros/cons
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The one with the higher R-factor! That's usually the foam, but it depends on the thickness of each.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Commercial jobs use fiberglass because the specifications usually call for it, and its specific covering, as well as appearances. The thickness determines its "insulation value" NOT necessarily the material.
  4. chefwong

chefwong New Member

If thickness is the case, then it must be fiberglass all the way. Without me comparing them in front of me, I'm thinking at least 2X as thick..
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Unfortunately, you'd be wrong! Depending on the foam, it may have as much as R5/inch. Fiberglass is rarely more than R2/inch, and because it has more open air spaces, can radiate more, reducing its effectiveness because of convection in it. A closed-cell foam doesn't have that issue. Fiberglass doesn't give off toxic fumes if it burns, some foams can. Decide what you need for R-factor, read the specs, see how thick you need to go with the preferred material, but if space is an issue, foam wins.
  6. Hairyhosebib

Hairyhosebib New Member