Insulating water lines in attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Your temp consideration seems to focus solely on the water temp. Needn't one consider ambient temp change as well? In normal case prob nothing to worry about. But what about power & furnace loss?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you aren't running water, the pipe and water contents will eventually reach the attic temp. Hopefully, you've got it in conditioned space (i.e., close to the ceiling under the insulation), but depending, it could rise and fall a lot from when water is running through it. You need to take into account the total maximum difference to know what amount of expansion/contraction you need to account for.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Your temp consideration seems to focus solely on the water temp. Needn't one consider ambient temp change as well? In normal case prob nothing to worry about. But what about power & furnace loss?
My temp consideration is based on abient temp changes. Note my avatar, I live in Hawaii. In Hawaii, it never gets down to 50 degrees in our area but I used that temp as a worst case cold temp. The 120 degrees hot temp is what our water heater is set at.

Everyone who installs pex should determine the worst case temperature extreme for the particular area that they live in.

HRG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks