insulating recessed lights

Users who are viewing this thread

possum

Reaction score
can you insulate around recessed lights or will they over heat any info will be helpful and what kind of insulation should i use

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
The recessed lighting must be insulation compatible or else they can overheat. There should say something like IC on it. Not sure about the minimum free space requirement if they are not rated IC.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
OK, I have old copies of the family handyman and the one I was reading the other day said to avoid "nuisance tripping" keep insulation off the housing of recessed lights. They showed a wire mesh that allowed some distance between the light and the fixture.
Hope the pic posts:

check your PM's possum

Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
They must be IC rated and installed for the IC rating which means that you are limited to what trim kit and bulb you can install. All of the information should be on the fixture itself. It there is no information then it is not IC rated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks