Insulating exterior tub wall

Users who are viewing this thread

RobertSM

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom in a wood frame building with a masonary façade, circa 1960. Before the plumber comes to install the tub, I'm wondering how to insulate the one exterior wall. There was no insulation previously.

On this wall, above the tub, I plan to furr out the existing furring strips and attach cbu so that it extends over the tub lip and is more or less even with the surrounding plaster wall, then apply a liquid membrane/vapor barrier to the cbu, and install tile.

I'm not sure what to do in the cavity below the tub lip. Once the plumber installs the tub, there will be limited access to this area.

I was thinking about gluing 1" thick foam board to the brick, between the furring strips, on the entire wall. In the portion below the tub, should I apply a vapor barrier and a sheet of cbu?

Robert

Attachments

• insulation.jpg
    insulation.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 423

Themp

Reaction score
I have cast iron tubs and I put insulation all around the tubs when we built the house. This helped a lot on keeping the heat in the tub while you are using it. It also keeps it close to room temperature prior to use.

What is the insulation for the walls where the window is? It would seem that this wall space is much larger than that area under the tub. So you would match what was done on the window wall at least.

RobertSM

Reaction score
I have cast iron tubs and I put insulation all around the tubs when we built the house. This helped a lot on keeping the heat in the tub while you are using it. It also keeps it close to room temperature prior to use.

What is the insulation for the walls where the window is? It would seem that this wall space is much larger than that area under the tub. So you would match what was done on the window wall at least.

RobertSM

Reaction score
Thanks---wrapping batt insulation around the tub does sound like a good idea.

There is no insulation in the exterior walls. What you see in the picture was how the exterior wall looked after I removed 1.25"-1.5" thick plaster/mud walls around the tub. I think the building originally used radiant heating (after condo conversion it's heat pump), so heat loss must not have been a concern. The new wall will be cbu and tile, but half the thickness of the original plaster/mud.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks