Insulate undersized supply pipes to quiet them?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Buttonsrtoys, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'm remodeling and ripped out all my 1" plaster and am replacing with 1/2" gypsum board. Because of this, I'm realizing how loud my supply pipes are. In particular, when a toilet or tub fills. It's a 60 y.o. house and the pipe's are 1/2" throughout, so undersized. The the pressure and supply are both fine, it's just the noise that's the problem. I don't have it in me to rip them out and am wondering if wrapping them with insulation would help. If so, is there a particular size or type? Any other advise would be much appreciated.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

noise

The noise will be transmitted through the entire system, so insulation will probably not have a significant effect on quieting them.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

You might get better results by way of installing a pressure reducing valve, since lower pressure equals lower flows and quieter plumbing.
  4. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

Thanks HJ. Due to my ongoing reno, I have access to 90% of the system (it's mostly in my exposed basement ceiling and one open wet wall). Do you think I'd still see negligible results?
  5. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'd like that idea. Thanks!
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Note that a PRV usually needs a thermal expansion tank installed also. Neither of these are extremely expensive nor are they difficult to install.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Prv

Lower pressure equals lower flows, which is the same as lower volume, so your shower output may be adversely affected. The real problem is that your entire system is undersized, and you are trying to fix it by "putting band aids on a broken leg".