Instant pressure drop [like slamming a door].

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Reilly

Reaction score
Good morning to you all,
In March 2015, I installed a new, residential Water Worker HT 30. It's a Water Worker again because it was a free, warranty replacement from Menard's [4.5 yrs. old]. Next one WILL be a Well-Xtrol.

All seemed to be going OK, but the last month or so, I started noticing the faucets can be flowing fine, and suddenly the flow nearly stops, the pump kicks in and we're off to the races again. I had the time to check it out this morning, so I was draining the tank at the tank faucet, with the house valve closed. It was flowing into the drain fine at a pretty good rate. Then the flow stopped instantly, like someone slammed a ball valve shut; no slowing down or draining to a trickle, nothing. Went from draining fast to Zero in a split second.

At the present time, the tank pre-charge shows 32 lbs. and the tank gauge shows "O". The pump kicks in at 34 lbs. according to one gauge, and 31 lbs. according to the other gauge. Don't know which to trust. One gauge [34] is on the tank valve, the other gauge [31] is in the house feed line about 10+ ft. away. Three hand gauges all agree on the 32 psi pre-charge.

Any helpful thoughts for me folks? I really appreciate it.

T'care,
Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
In any case, you will need to drop the precharge pressure (or raise the switch pressure) based on the symptoms. If you have a jet pump, you need a bigger differential. The jet pump builds pressure slower.

If you have about 35 or 40 PSI of water pressure, the air pressure in the tank is close to the water pressure. This could let you decide which water pressure gauge to believe. Or if the one reading 3 PSI lower is about 7 ft higher than the other, they could *both* be right.

I presume the pressure tank and pressure switch are very close to each other.

Regarding "Went from draining fast to Zero in a split second", that is expected.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As soon as the system pressure equals the tank's air pressure, the flow WILL STOP immediately. Then there will be a pause until the system pressure drops further to turn the pump on. Regardless of what the gauges show, your air pressure is too high. There is little downside for the pressure being several pounds less than the cut in point of the pump, because as soon as the pump is turned on, the air pressure equalizes to the water pressure, as long as the air pressure is not higher than the water pressure or zero.

Mike Reilly

Reaction score
Reach4 and hj,
Your advice was dead on; and really fast also!

I dropped the pre-charge to 30 psi and the problem has disappeared.

Thank you soooo much for the help.

With gratitude,
Mike [;-)

P.S. The pressure gauge is right at the tank's tee, beside the switch. And yes, the 2nd gauge is about 7' [or so] above, and 10+ feet away at the floor joist.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks