Installing washing machine drain in basement apartment, venting/stack Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ShaneB, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

I have a question about modifying a current copper soil stack/vent to add a washing machine drain in a basement apartment that I will be renting shortly.

The current plumbing setup behind the basement washroom looks like this:

[​IMG]

Can I cut a section of the copper stack out, replace with PVC, raise the current vent to above flood level of the bathroom fixtures behind the wall, and use a sanitary tee to a trap etc. just about where the current 45 comes off of the main stack for the breather?

New proposed plumbing:

[​IMG]
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

It is not clear to me what you are trying to accomplish. A horizontal vent needs to be above the flood rim of the highest fixture served, but your drawings show a vertical vent.

We would need to know what size and type of fittings are being used to determine if if what you intend to do is right or not.

In most of the U.S., you would be required to be a licensed plumber to perform this type of work in a structure that you do not own. I don't what happens north of the border.
  3. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

If you have a vertical vent stack, why are you tying into the copper stack with your vent?