Installing utility sink in garage -- opposite site of bathroom wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I would like to install a utility sink in my garage. On the other side of the wall is a bathroom and the bathroom sink. I've read different sites and postings about utility sinks and sometimes the discussions about different types of vents confuses me. I would like to know the basic premise so that I do this properly. I haven't yet opened the wall to access the drain (I want to have a game plan first). Do I use a wye to tie into the bathroom sink drain? I understand that due to gravity, my utility sink needs to be elevated above the drain line. What do I do about venting? I apologize for the ambiguous information I provided, but again, I haven't opened up the wall yet. I'm in Massachusetts, by the way, with regard to codes.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
UNTIL you open the wall and see how the bathroom sink is connected, there is absoluely NO way we can advise you. It is very possible that the sink is connected in such a way that there is no EASY way to connect the laundry sink "properly".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A drywall jabsaw.

The utility sink is typically run with 2" waste and a 1.5" trap and trap arm.

A lav might be 1-1/4 waste and trap.

If you had 2" pipe below, then you would either install a fixture cross if they are back to back, or wye or tee off below the other fixture; and of course you would need to individually vent each one in that case.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll leave the technical how-to-do-it to the pros, but unless I am mistaken (and I have been known to be wrong) DIY plumbing in Massachusetts is illegal. I do not know how strictly they enforce this, but it could be expensive if you get caught. Sorry to rain on your parade, but better that you know what you could be up against.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Many bathroom sinks have horizontal drain into the toilet's vent stack, and in those cases, it would be VERY difficult to install a laundry sink "properly".

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Ok, I finally got to opening up the wall to see what was going on. From the bathroom sink, the pipe runs horizontally and connects to this:
IMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

So what are my options?

Thanks again.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Just to clarify the pics, because HJ mentioned how sometimes the sink has a horizontal pipe leading to the toilet stack -- in my situation, the horizontal pipe below the sink runs the opposite direction from the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks