Installing universal tub spouts

Users who are viewing this thread

jeanbap

Reaction score
Hi,
I need to replace my tub spout and I am currently on my 3rd one. I had a handyman come in and look at the first one that was leaking and he originally said there were pits in the copper pipe coming out of the wall and that it might need to be replaced or soldering might fix it. Then he emails me the quote and says the problem is a faulty tub spout and to buy another one. So I did that and installed and it still leaked from the back of spout where the set screw sits. I have a smooth 1/2' copper pipe coming out of the wall so I bought the first universal tub spout and installed that according to the directions and it leaked. When I took it off and took it apart I noticed that the screw you are suppose to tighten onto the adapter does not line up with the cut out in the adapter. So I bought another one thinking that was defective but this time I checked before installing it and it looks like it is set up the same way.

I read on some other sites that these universal tub spouts are pretty crappy and do not work well. The first one I had put one was out of one of those trim kits. So should I even bother with these universal tub spouts or should I go to a plumbing supply store and buying a better model. I am not sure that the pits are not causing the leak either but from some of the other sites I have been too this type of leak is common with installation.

Thanks

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the tub spout that has the set screw fits securely and still leaks, then maybe the copper pipe is bad that is coming out of the wall. It might be best to cut off the bad section and solder on a fitting that a screw type spout can screw on to. But maybe one of the pros will have a different idea.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have access to the valve area behind the wall I would replace the spout stub out if it is pitted. Then try the spout you have. If it still doesn't work then get the type that uses a soldered on male adapter to attach on to.

jeanbap

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, the only way to replace the stub out is to cut it off and solder on a new one. If that is the case then I will call in a professional or my handyman because that is beyond me. Thanks.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends how much of the stub is bad. You may be able to cut a small length off, preferably with a tubing cutter, and still have enough left to attach your set screw type spout to. If not, you'll have to do some soldering.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Mine was threadded in on both sides so all I had to do was take a pipe wrench and unscrew it. I could then put in the nice one where the stub connects much farther inside the tub spout.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
jeanbap said:
Correct me if I am wrong, the only way to replace the stub out is to cut it off and solder on a new one. If that is the case then I will call in a professional or my handyman because that is beyond me. Thanks.

Right, If there is enough pipe sticking out it can be cut and a new piece soldered on without going behind the wall as Verdeboy said. Have the spout there so the person doing it will / should be able to tell if the slip-on spout will work with the coupling soldered on B4 he spends his time doing it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

There are many ways to install a tub spout, and as long as you buy the one that suits your conditions replacement is easy. A universal tub spout is the poorest choice however, because in trying to make it fit every possible situation, they often create something that does not always work for you. They are also at the bottom of the quality pyramid.

surf1div1

Reaction score
Tub Spout Woes...

Well, I doubt that the copper pipe should be replaced without possibly posting a shot of the stub to see what is happening. I just went through the same thing because I cut my copper stub too short (Danco's directions only said the stub shouldn't be more then 2" but didn't say what the minimum would be-Mine was 1"). As a result the stub out didn't go far enough into the plastic 1/2" pipe extension nipple (Danco). You slide the adapter that holds the metal collar with the setscrew on the stub, but it has to slide far enough for the stub-out to go into the pipe extension where a black o-ring keeps the water from dribbling back out towards the wall. I ended up use the universal spout, but ridding myself of the interior pipe extension and soldering a 1/2" MIP piece together and now the spout works fine.

If the tub spout that has the set screw fits securely and still leaks, then maybe the copper pipe is bad that is coming out of the wall. It might be best to cut off the bad section and solder on a fitting that a screw type spout can screw on to. But maybe one of the pros will have a different idea.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A Delta spout which has an adapter you solder to the copper, then the spout threads onto that adapter. Has great adjustment range, very good quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks