Installing Toto Carlyle II - water supply

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Poschspice, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Poschspice

Poschspice New Member

I have 7" from center of toilet rough in to center of water supply but it's only about 3" off the floor. Current shut off valve is standard cheaply type so it is wider that the supply. Will this be sufficient for clearance of the skirted bowl or should I have the supply line moved over and up?

I have read both 6" and 7" from center will work but manual recommends 8" out and 6" up.
  2. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Terry has previously posted that the Carlyle II needs 6" center-to-center for the shutoff valve if it's on the wall. Doesn't matter how high off the floor it is for these purposes. If the handle is too big to turn, replace the stop with quarter-turn ball valve with a small-diameter handle, like on these angle stops. http://www.dahlvalve.com/PDF/Skirted_Toilet_Brchre_US.pdf Replacing the stop is normally a trivial job. Also note that those Dahl stops are ideal in the case (unlike yours) where you don't have enough distance from the centerline -- no need to relocate the water supply, just use a stop with a 90-degree turn built-in.
  3. Poschspice

Poschspice New Member

Thank you for clarification on this.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Aside for a better fit, these valves are far better than the old kind. Toilet supply valves should always be fully open, so no need to have one that requires 6 or 8 turns. Quick and easy to go from on to off, off to on.