Installing toilet on concrete slab problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtroad Johnson

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice please. The concrete is not level around the pipe that the
flange sits on & the pipe is maybe 1/8 to 3/16 higher than the concrete in some places.
The pipe itself is level across the top but the concrete is not level (a little higher on 1
side than the other.) The toilet will be setting to high off the floor. What's the options
or best fix? Thanks for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a flange installed, and I think you are saying that the top of the flange is 3/16 higher than the concrete on the low side of the concrete, and 1/8 higher than the higher side of the concrete.

Not a pro, but here is what I envision. You could use shims on the lower concrete. Lock the closet bolts vertically with an extra nut on each side. Position the toilet without the wax ring. Push in the shims to level the toilet. Leave the wedge-shaped shims long at that point. After the toilet is level, mark the shim location with tape or pencil (or tape the shims in place), and then lift the toilet. If any shims moved, restore the position. Place the wax ring and set the toilet in place. Press down, and tighten the closet bolts. Only then break off the shims at the perimeter of the toilet base and apply your Polyseamseal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks