Installing toilet in new basement

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by pipper75, Jun 17, 2005.

1. pipper75

pipper75 New Member

Hi,

I am going to be building a new bathroom in the basement and there is not a drain in the concrete floor. Should I build a platform or is an up flush toilet going to be sufficient? I will also be putting in a shower and sink and a kithchen, it is for my in-laws, I am not too sure about the venting of the system to make it drain properly.

Thanks,
    pipper75
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A platform is never a good choice. It will always look terrible and you will never be happy with it. If you can't access a drain below the floor, then you will want to consider a up-flush of some kind. All of that said, this is not a job you should take on for a project. There are many ways to really screw up and just a few right ways to do it. You need to hire a professional plumbing contractor for this one. He won't be cheap, but his fee will look cheap if you DIY and then have to have it redone. Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."