Installing toilet drain through floor joists

Users who are viewing this thread

Doomus

Reaction score
I am in the process of renovating a bathroom and am looking to relocate the toilet drain and install a new toto maris toilet. The new location means I would need to put the 3" drain line through two 2x8 floor joists (which I know is not possible). What is the best way to move the drain?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without a good picture of where the drains are now and the joist runs, and where you want them to be, there's really no way to tell you how to move them and make it all work. Sometimes, the easiest way isn't all that aesthetic, since it may work out best to run the new pipe underneath them, but that may not be practical.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't run through the 2x8 joists.
You can run between them or under them. Sometimes that means finding a good spot below, where the pipe can later be concealed. Near a wall is a good location.
Othertimes, you can move a vertical in a wall, and come up in a spot where it will run between the joists.

You can barely run across with 2x10, no way with 2x8

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks