Installing Softener w/ Big Blue Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

jwith

Reaction score
I'm installing a water softener with a big blue water filter. I will be connecting the system to copper piping.

I'm wording specifics on fittings and layout. Although the Softener has a bypass, I'm going to make a ball-valve bypass configuration as shown in the diagram below. Should both the Big Blue Filter and the softener be inside the same bypass, or should I create a separate bypass for the BB filter? I'd rather not do the second because the cost of ball valves.

In regards to the fittings, how should the BB filter be attached? I've been thinking of using 3/4" MPT copper fittings, using 3/4" CXC unions, or 3/4" compression fittings. I'd prefer one of the first two or another suggestion.

In the first option, I'm not sure the order of installation. Would I need to attach the MPT to the BB prior to sweating? If so, how do I keep it from melting the BB plastic cap? In the second configuration, I've heard a lot of people complaining about unions leaking. Is there a good place to buy decent unions locally?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What is the BB application? I would not bother with it if you are doing a carbon filter.

3 valve for the BB only, the softener should have its own high quality bypass, assuming you are not buying a Big Box store unit. Fleck and Clack both have excellent integrated bypasses.

I would only recommend BB for sediment reduction for whole house applications and only when it is needed. I would not add it "just because".

If you are following the drawing, you don't need it if your well water does not contain sediment. I would locate it after the unit instead of before. A high end softener, not the low end units from big box stores or the low end online resellers include higher quality lower distributors/bottom screens and gravel under-bedding that virtually eliminates the failures and resin leakage that is common with cheaper units. If you are using the imported systems like what your drawing shows, then a high quality BB filter housing with a sediment cartridge is recommended...

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Big Blue are often not recommended for point-of-entry filtration as it may act as a bottle neck, restricting flow throughout your water system. What are you attempting to filter as there maybe a better option?

To answer your initial question, installing a separate bypass on each device, would permit you to bypass any device separately if there was a problem, without taking the other devices off-line. If something became broken with the BB filter, the softener and strainer could remain on-line. If the softener malfunctioned, you could keep the strainer and filter in-service while the softener was being serviced. Your upper drawing does not allow either of the filters or the softener to remain functioning during bypass.

To sweat fittings, they would be soldered before threading into any plastic filter housing. Any soldering required after threading into the plastic housing, should be performed a few feet away. Even when well away from the filter housing, wrap a wet rag around the threaded fitting to absorb any heat being transferred through the copper pipe, to that fitting and the plastic housing.

Edited to add: I was writing my reply as Dittohead posted.

Last edited:

jwith

Reaction score
I'm using a 25/05 micron Dual gradient 20" sediment filtration. This was suggested by a few water treatment companies, due to the sediment in our water and the ferric iron. I'm hoping it will be less than 5psi drop at 10GPM.

The water softener I ordered is the latest Clack WS1 w/ 1.5cf resin and 15lbs of gravel.

How do I work with elbows? Specifically, how do I make sure after I sweat the pipe it will tighten down at the correct angle. Should I thread the MPT first and mark the top with respect to the filter cap and then remove it to solder it? Like in this configuration:

Whole-house-water-filters-300x225.jpg

JamesSmith0092

Reaction score
Big Blue Filter Installation:

1). Install the Big Blue filter system in the desired location in the water treatment system. The cap are marked “IN” and “OUT” on the top of the housing.
2). Mount the housing to the bracket using the supplied screws, orienting the housing to match the applications desired flow direction. Double and Triple housings are pre-assembled. However, if your applications flow direction is right to left, the bracket will need to be turned 180 degrees.

How to install a water softener

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks