Installing Pex Plumbing through ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
Re-piping a house with Pex. Using a home run system and going through the ceiling in a closet into the attic. So I cut out a square in the drywall to run all the pipes into the attic. Also insulating the pipes and the insulation comes down into the Closet just a few inches.

My question is what is the best way to seal and make this look attractive? If I just shoot foam it falls and gets all over the pipes. What do others do.

bingow

Reaction score
A photo of your closet ceiling would help. Does the closet have the utilities?
(Edit: I'm a DIYer with similar PEX installation).

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Re-piping a house with Pex. Using a home run system and going through the ceiling in a closet into the attic. So I cut out a square in the drywall to run all the pipes into the attic. Also insulating the pipes and the insulation comes down into the Closet just a few inches.

My question is what is the best way to seal and make this look attractive? If I just shoot foam it falls and gets all over the pipes. What do others do.

A pic would help, but you can always box the area in and sheet rock it if I'm reading what you're doing correctly.

John

Rwbil

Reaction score
It is in a closet with the air handler. I know it looks messy. I started to use foam but that was a mess. I like to make it look better and I have another one I will be doing so want to know the best way to do it.

The ceiling has sheetrock. I started to try and make individual holes, but that became a mess quickly, so turned to a larger cut out of the sheetrock.

Attachments

• PEx Plumbing.jpg
    PEx Plumbing.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 149

bingow

Reaction score
Is that a PEX manifold halfway up the wall? If you have the room, I'd do as @JohnCT suggested. Glue or screw a 2x2 frame to serve as sheetrock or plywood nailers, going from ceiling to the floor. Make one box side easily removable for inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks