Installing pedestal sink

Users who are viewing this thread

tnron72750

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a pedestal sink. the instructions said to drill two holes in the drywall, install mollies and screws. dont like that idea. I wanted to place two 2x4's where the screws go between the studs. Removed drywall, one 2x4 was no problem. the other one presented a problem (nothing seems to be easy). Where i need to place the 2x4 has a 3" pvc pipe running up the wall. I'm assuming its a waste vent pipe. My questions is: can i drill a pilot hole into the waste vent pipe, and then put the screw in it? Thanks for your replies

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Place the Sink where it will be installed, mark on both sides where the 2 by will sit for the holes, then you will place the board behind the Wallboard. You can use 5/8 to 3/4" Ply instead of the 2by, which would work better, plus can cut it wider to allow for more area to bolt into.

tnron72750

Reaction score
I did that with one screw hole (it has two). The other screw hole location has the vent pipe right behind it where i cant put in a 2x4. Was wondering if i can pilot drill a hole into the vent pipe and insert the screw. thx

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Was wondering if i can pilot drill a hole into the vent pipe and insert the screw.

I wouldn't. You are asking for a leak.
How do you know it's a vent?
It could be a waste line.

Even if it were a vent, I wouldn't do it.
What I have done in cases like that is to put wood on the wall over the drywall.
If you make look like you wanted it there, then it works.
The finish carpenter I use calls it "intentional"

tnron72750

Reaction score
thanks for everyone's answer. No, Terry, how come i knew it was a vent line is all my plumbing is in the basement, and since this is a one story house, i knew it was a vent pipe and i traced it up into the attic to make sure. I figured the only leak I would get would be from rainwater, and that would be minimal, and since I'm also going to tile behind the sink, odorous leaks wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you use toggle bolts? your just holding the sink tight to the wall. All the heavy weight is to the front of sink.

toggle-bolts-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tnron72750

Reaction score
no, cant use toggle bolts. the pipe is flush against the front wallboard and the back wallboard. And I definetely dont want to reroute the pipe....that would be a major headache

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That's right you can't use toggle bolts and you also can't drill and screw into a vent. You need a strong backer board to fasten into. If you can't do it I would recommend a vanity.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I almost hate to throw this out there but I swear, I've seen it three times in the past two years. The sink top glued to the wall with construction adhesive. Now I have to say that when it comes time to change the lav, life is going to really suck. But it does hold the sink to the wall very very securley.

Giggiddy giggiddy Gooooooo

tnron72750

Reaction score
exactly what i was thinking. one bolt will be securely anchored into a wall stud. maybe the other bolt could be bolted into a molly no further than the drywall. Plus I could put construction adhesive on it too. heck, i could even go as far as wrap a chain around it....lol. no, seriously, i was thinking one bolt would hold it if i do the other things i was thinking of. how are things in az? used to live in sierra vista

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Az

Slow, until the construction industry recovers and the economy picks up. Between Silicone on the back of the sink and on the pedestal, and caulking around the perimeter, the bolts are redundant anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks