Installing new whirlpool tub - test or mortar bed first?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hd99flhr, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hd99flhr

hd99flhr New Member

Hi folks. Installing a new american standard whirlpool tub in and alcove configuration (where only one side will be open). I want to set the tub/drain prior but was wondering if I test it first, then disconnect, pull it out of the alcove and then install it with a setting bed?

What's the best setting bed for this type of set-up. The underside of the tub is wood covered fiberglass with two support runners.

Thanks in advance.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you intend to test it and then remove it, you will compromise your test. If you just want to check its mechanics, test it BEFORE you set it in place, the do the actual installation after you are done.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you want to test the exterior connections, do it outside on the lawn. Plug the drain and fill with a garden hose.

Then carry it back inside, and then worry about banging the connections you just tested when you install it for real.
    They test those things at the factory before they crate them.
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Terry wont it be heavy with all that water in it? :)

Good advice - I never thought to do this test outside before....

JW
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That is why you do it outside so the lawn gets watered when you pull the plug.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

This is turning into a "Green Building" thread... I love it.

So many builders and plumbers just don't think about that wasted 60 gallons of water.