Installing new whirlpool tub - test or mortar bed first?

Users who are viewing this thread

hd99flhr

Reaction score
Hi folks. Installing a new american standard whirlpool tub in and alcove configuration (where only one side will be open). I want to set the tub/drain prior but was wondering if I test it first, then disconnect, pull it out of the alcove and then install it with a setting bed?

What's the best setting bed for this type of set-up. The underside of the tub is wood covered fiberglass with two support runners.

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you intend to test it and then remove it, you will compromise your test. If you just want to check its mechanics, test it BEFORE you set it in place, the do the actual installation after you are done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want to test the exterior connections, do it outside on the lawn. Plug the drain and fill with a garden hose.

Then carry it back inside, and then worry about banging the connections you just tested when you install it for real.
They test those things at the factory before they crate them.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This is turning into a "Green Building" thread... I love it.

So many builders and plumbers just don't think about that wasted 60 gallons of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks