Installing new tub - newbie questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd77

Reaction score
Hey guys. Newbie here and first time posting to the forum. I am installing a new tub and while the manufacturer recommends a mortar bed, I am unsure if I should add weight on the inside of the tub while it cures.
- Is it standard practice to do this?
- Also, is it a big concern that I have to shim the front apron about 1/2 inch for everything to be completely level? I believe that the ditra mat and thinset plus tile up against the tub will take care of that gap.
- Also, if someone could point me to to a detailed installation procedure that would be very helpful.

Thanks so much!

Atomic1

Reaction score
I believe the only time you'd want to weigh it down is if you used sprayfoam (because the foam will try to lift the tub). When I set mine, i didn't weigh it down. The more critical part is getting a big enough mound and laying the tub into the mound in one shot, and level without re-lifting the tub (so you dont create a space between the mortar and bottom of tub)

plastic down first to prevent the subfloor from sucking out moisture from the mortar as it cures, and I wouldn't put anything too heavy in it for at least 7 days so the mortar has a chance to develop some strength....that said, you do want to test it a little after a day or two to make sure nothing squeaks or rocks. It is easy to pull the tub up and redo in that first week before the mortar cures.

I think 1/2" gap is ok. Consider using composite shims and then when you set your tile, shove thinset in the gap.

Todd77

Reaction score
I believe the only time you'd want to weigh it down is if you used sprayfoam (because the foam will try to lift the tub). When I set mine, i didn't weigh it down. The more critical part is getting a big enough mound and laying the tub into the mound in one shot, and level without re-lifting the tub (so you dont create a space between the mortar and bottom of tub)

plastic down first to prevent the subfloor from sucking out moisture from the mortar as it cures, and I wouldn't put anything too heavy in it for at least 7 days so the mortar has a chance to develop some strength....that said, you do want to test it a little after a day or two to make sure nothing squeaks or rocks. It is easy to pull the tub up and redo in that first week before the mortar cures.

I think 1/2" gap is ok. Consider using composite shims and then when you set your tile, shove thinset in the gap.

Thanks for the info. I had bought cedar shims but I did see the composite ones at the store as well. I assume both will do the job?

Atomic1

Reaction score
No, cedar will eventually crush and/or decay at the tub apron unless you really fill that joint well with some other material such as thinset (which can be difficult to get a tight fill).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks